Jacob Budd was the driving force behind the founding and development of Millbrook. A large part of the village was built in anticipation of the coming of the railroad. In 1873, a hotel was built, which opened in January 1874.The hotel was 30 by 30 feet and 20 feet high. It was small, but said to have been well arranged. There was a parlor, dining room and kitchen on the first floor, and seven bedrooms on the second floor.
In June 1875, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Chappell moved from Yorkville to Millbrook to manage the hotel. 1Kendall County Record, June 6, 1875. In 1877, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Weeks replaced Mr. and Mrs. Chappell. The word around the community was the Weeks set the best table in the county at Budd’s Hotel. 2Kendall County Record, December 13, 1877. 3Kendall County Record, January 24, 1878.
In March 1880, Mr. Morrill assumed the management of the Millbrook Hotel. 4Kendall County Record, March 18, 1880.
By September 1880 Mrs. Gilmore was managing the Millbrook Hotel. Mrs. Gilmore provided an excellent place to eat dinner (lunch) and the hotel was a popular place with farmers who brought grain to town from a distance. 5Kendall County Record, September 14, 1880.
In 1884, Mrs. Gilmore gave up the management of the hotel and was replaced by W. Wright, who was the proprietor of the tile factory. Mr. Wright had previously operated a hotel in Chicago. 6Kendall County Record March 13, 1884.
Apparently, Mrs. Gilmore was induced to return to the hotel as Dell Lockwood succeeded her as landlord of the Millbrook Hotel. When Dell left the hotel, his brother Charles H. “Charley” Lockwood succeeded him. 7Kendall County Record, March 4, 1885.
In 1887 Charles H. Lockwood resigned as the manager of the Millbrook Hotel to work for John R. Marshall as editor of the Plano Mirror. 8Kendall County Record, August 24, 1887.
In January 1894 John Benthien and his wife, Elizabeth Benthien opened a hotel in the “old hotel building.” One room was dedicated to a barbershop operated by Harry Benthien.
In October 1899 a disastrous fire swept through the Millbrook business district. One of the casualties was Budd’s Hotel. By this time, it was apparent that a hotel in Millbrook would not be profitable enough to warrant its replacement.Share on facebook Facebook Share on twitter Twitter Share on pinterest Pinterest Share on email Email Share on print Print
References [ + ]
|1.||↑||Kendall County Record, June 6, 1875.|
|2.||↑||Kendall County Record, December 13, 1877.|
|3.||↑||Kendall County Record, January 24, 1878.|
|4.||↑||Kendall County Record, March 18, 1880.|
|5.||↑||Kendall County Record, September 14, 1880.|
|6.||↑||Kendall County Record March 13, 1884.|
|7.||↑||Kendall County Record, March 4, 1885.|
|8.||↑||Kendall County Record, August 24, 1887.|