One of Frink and Walker’s stagecoach routes between Chicago and Ottawa passed through Holderman’s Grove. In 1833, Levi Hills, Sr. and his wife Sarah (Sears) Hills opened a log tavern in the grove, where the passengers were fed and horses exchanged.
April 4, 1834, Levi Hills, Sr. was appointed postmaster at Holderman’s Grove making this the first postal facility in what became Kendall County.
In 1836, Levi moved out on the prairie to the place that became Lisbon and built a new tavern. When Hills established his tavern on the prairie, the post office at Holderman’s Grove was closed.