In 1871, successful businessman Timothy Worsley made a significant investment in Millington by building a new store and a large hotel named the Worsley Hotel. The hotel was directly across the street from the depot and next door to Worsley and Foster’s store.1Timothy Worsley was the principal partner in Worsley and Foster. Timothy and Abigail Worsley’s daughter, Emily Frances, married Timothy’s partner Samuel Edward Foster. One observer described the hotel as a large frame structure without any architectural beauty, but roomy and comfortable. The Worsley Hotel was finished in the spring of 1872 and opened the first of May.2Kendall County Record, April 4, 1872.
By October 1875, Samuel J. Bartlett and his wife, Electa J. Bartlett, had assumed the management of the hotel and changed the name to Bartlett House. At this time, Mr. Worsley refurbished the hotel with new carpets and furniture, putting it in excellent shape.3Kendall County Record, October 28, 1875.
Sometime between late 1875 and June 1877 the Worsley Hotel closed. In June 1877, the Worsleys reopened and resumed management of the hotel.4Kendall County Record, June 7, 1877.
From approximately June 1877 to August 1880, W. D. Moore managed the Worsley Hotel. By the latter date, he had left Millington to manage a hotel in Somonauk.5Kendall County Record, August 5, 1880. At this time, Timothy Worsley resumed management of the hotel. A visitor to the hotel stated he had an excellent supper (dinner) there and was made to feel at home by the proprietors.6Kendall County Record, September 23, 1880.
In June 1881 Mr. Worsley removed the beautiful long porch in front of his hotel and replaced it with a sunshade over the door.7Kendall County Record, June 23, 1881.
In December 1881, Mr. Paul rented the Worsley Hotel and assumed its management.8Kendall County Record, December 4, 1881.9Kendall County Record, December 15, 1881.
In 1882 the Worsley Hotel and accompanying buildings were offered for sale. The asking price was not publicized but their original cost was placed at $12,000.
By October 1875, Samuel J. Bartlett and his wife, Electa J. Bartlett, had assumed the management of the Worsley hotel and changed the name to Bartlett House.
In 1880 the following people were living in the Worsley Hotel.
1880 census Village of Millington, page 65 & 314A, enumeration date June 4, family # 17.
Moore, W. D. 36 M self NY NY NY hotelkeeper
Moore, Kittie M. 31 F wife NY NY NY
Moore, Gracie L. 10 F dau NY NY NY
Moore, Nathan S. 5 M son NY NY NY
Whitman, Adelia 19 F IL Unk Unk servant
Huff, N. W. 33 M IL Unk Unk boarder
McAtee, William 32 M IL Unk Unk boarder
Gough, James B. 28 M OH Unk Unk boarder
Justice, Charles 32 M OH Unk Unk boarder
Justice, Arthur 28 M OH Unk Unk boarder
Ferguson, A. J. 42 M IL Unk Unk boarder
Worsley, Timothy 67 M RI Eng MA boarder
Worsley, Abigail 51 F NY CT CT boarder
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on email
Share on print
References [ + ]
|1.||↑||Timothy Worsley was the principal partner in Worsley and Foster. Timothy and Abigail Worsley’s daughter, Emily Frances, married Timothy’s partner Samuel Edward Foster.|
|2.||↑||Kendall County Record, April 4, 1872.|
|3.||↑||Kendall County Record, October 28, 1875.|
|4.||↑||Kendall County Record, June 7, 1877.|
|5.||↑||Kendall County Record, August 5, 1880.|
|6.||↑||Kendall County Record, September 23, 1880.|
|7.||↑||Kendall County Record, June 23, 1881.|
|8.||↑||Kendall County Record, December 4, 1881.|
|9.||↑||Kendall County Record, December 15, 1881.|