In 1836, John Moore moved three miles out on the prairie and built the first house in what became Lisbon. During the same year, Levi Hills, Sr., built the second building in Lisbon, a log tavern and stage stop on the western edge of the village. 1Extracted from When Lisbon was a Prairie, by Mrs. John L. Shufelt, 1917. The tavern was known far and wide as Prairie Tavern. 2Kendall County Record, June 23, 1870.
Initially the road between Chicago and Ottawa was two miles north of Lisbon. 3Kendall County Record, January 18, 1888. With the tavern on the prairie, a road was needed to connect the new village with the rest of the world. A road that passed by Hills’ tavern was laid out from Joliet to join the Chicago to Ottawa Road, at Holderman’s Grove.
Lisbon’s first post office was located in the tavern. Levi Hills was appointed postmaster of Lisbon September 17, 1836 and served in that capacity until June 3, 1846.
References [ + ]
|1.||↑||Extracted from When Lisbon was a Prairie, by Mrs. John L. Shufelt, 1917.|
|2.||↑||Kendall County Record, June 23, 1870.|
|3.||↑||Kendall County Record, January 18, 1888.|