In 1890, Darius A. “Dar” Harrington moved a building from Newark to the lot across the street from the depot, and converted it into a hotel called the Harrington House.
In mid 1891, Mr. and Mrs. George Neff leased the Harrington House for a year and renamed it Neff House. In June 1891 the people of Millington and vicinity were invited to attend the grand re-opening of the hotel.1Kendall County Record, July 1, 1891. Upon the completion of the first year’s lease, Mr. and Mrs. Neff discontinued the management of the hotel.2Kendall County Record, June 29, 1892.
Beginning July 1, 1892 the owner’s son, Lew Harrington, was managing the hotel whose name had reverted to Harrington House.3Kendall County Record, September 21, 1892.
By July 1896 Dar Harrington had resumed management of the hotel. In August 1899, Dar redecorated the Harrington Hotel with new paint and paper and offered accommodations for local boarders and traveling guests at reasonable rates.4Kendall County Record, August 30, 1899.5Kendall County News, October 27, 1899.
The Harrington House was still open in 1901-2 when it was operated by Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dobler.6Kendall County Record, March 12, 1902.
Advertisement: Palmer’s Hotel, Millington, Illinois. Formerly the Harrington House. Modern accommodations for all transients and boarders. Nice, clean rooms at reasonable rates. Good meals for 35 cents. Livery and feed stable in connection with hotel. A. P. Palmer Proprietor.7Kendall County Record, April 24, 1907.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on email
Share on print
References [ + ]
|1.||↑||Kendall County Record, July 1, 1891.|
|2.||↑||Kendall County Record, June 29, 1892.|
|3.||↑||Kendall County Record, September 21, 1892.|
|4.||↑||Kendall County Record, August 30, 1899.|
|5.||↑||Kendall County News, October 27, 1899.|
|6.||↑||Kendall County Record, March 12, 1902.|
|7.||↑||Kendall County Record, April 24, 1907.|