Jared Bartram and his wife, Elise Bartram, became proprietors of a stage stop on the Chicago to Ottawa road in Holderman’s Grove which, became known as “Bartram’s Old Stand.” The tavern and accompanying barn were located on forty acres in section 28 of Big Grove Township at the intersection of present day White Willow and Roods Roads. The tavern had fourteen large rooms plus a number of very small rooms and a stone basement.
Mr. and Mrs. Alexander McClaskey continued to manage the tavern for several years after the Bartrams left.
When stagecoaches no longer came through the area, the tavern became a private residence. In January 1855, the property was purchased by the Elling Eielsen church group to be used as a Lutheran Seminary. The seminary was to be a school of higher education to train Norwegian ministers and teachers. Because of a split in the group, the seminary was only open for one year. When the seminary closed, the building reverted to a farm home.