Mrs. Christina (Jeffrey) Birney ran the Birney Hotel in Lisbon for eleven years. She was reputed to be an accommodating and respected innkeeper.
In 1833, Levi Hills, Sr. and his wife Sarah (Sears) Hills opened a log tavern in Holderman’s Grove, where the passengers were fed and horses exchanged.
Jared Bartram and his wife, Elise Bartram, became proprietors of a stage stop on the Chicago to Ottawa road in Holderman’s Grove which, became known as “Bartram’s Old Stand.”
Lockwood W. Goodale and his wife, Abigail Catherine (Miller) Goodale ran a hotel in Bristol Station for over forty-two years.
Alexander McLay/McLeay and his wife Margaret McLay/McLeay built and operated a hotel in Bristol Station. The hotel was the first building north of the railroad tracks on the west side of Main Street.
The Bristol House was located on lots 1 and 2, block 2, Original Town of Bristol. June 6, 1843, John Short, Sr. purchased lots one and two, block two, original Village of Bristol, from James McClellan. The lots are located on the southwest corner of Somonauk and Center Streets. John constructed his family’s home there but later was induced to convert their home into the first tavern in Bristol, which he and his wife, Mary E. (Surre) Short, operated. The tavern was the stagecoach stop and provided a place for teamsters and others to stay. The horses that pulled the stagecoaches were exchanged at Bristol. A horse barn and pasture were located directly across the street from the hotel to accommodate the stage line, its passengers and hotel guest’s needs. The Short’s daughter, Susan (Short) May, wrote an interesting account of daily life around the tavern. The tavern eventually became known as Bristol House.
Milks Tavern, Wolf Tavern, and Patrick Stand When stagecoaches were running, two stage routes intersected in Seward Township, the Frink and Walker stage lines between Chicago and Ottawa and Patterson stage line between Kankakee and Ottawa. Between, November 29, 1836 and April 25, 1838 Alansing (a. k. a. Alanson) Milks and his wife Ann “Elizabeth” […]
The following paper was read at the old settler’s picnic in Oswego, IL, Thursday June 23, 1904 by Honorable George M. Hollenback, the first white child born in Kendall County and this part of the Fox River Valley. Your committee has awarded me as a subject “Reminiscences of the Old Courthouse.” It is so long […]
Kendall County, situated in the northeast part of the state, was settled in 1831, mostly by emigrants from Ohio, and was organized in April 1841. The Fox River runs centrally through the county in a southwesterly direction. The prairies are large, undulating, fertile and well settled, especially along the river. The products of the county […]