There were two major hotels in Millington, Austin House and Worsley Hotel. Both hotels experienced several changes in management. At times the names of these hotels were changed to reflect their proprietor’s names. Austin House, a. k. a. Boyd Hotel, Kellogg House, and White’s Hotel Harrington House, a. k. a. Neff House, and Palmer Hotel […]
In 1871, successful businessman Timothy Worsley made a significant investment in Millington by building a new store and a large hotel named the Worsley Hotel. The hotel was directly across the street from the depot and next door to Worsley and Foster’s store.1Timothy Worsley was the principal partner in Worsley and Foster. Timothy and Abigail […]
In 1890, Darius A. “Dar” Harrington moved a building from Newark to the lot across the street from the depot, and converted it into a hotel called the Harrington House. In mid 1891, Mr. and Mrs. George Neff leased the Harrington House for a year and renamed it Neff House. In June 1891 the people […]
Austin House Joshua N. Austin was the builder and first operator of the Austin House. In August 1873, Robert E. Mason purchased the Austin House from Joshua. In November 1873, William H. Gunsel became the owner of the Austin House. He exchanged four hundred acres of land in Vernon County, MO for the hotel property […]
Jacob Budd was the driving force behind the founding and development of Millbrook. A large part of the village was built in anticipation of the coming of the railroad. In 1873, a hotel was built, which opened in January 1874.The hotel was 30 by 30 feet and 20 feet high. It was small, but said […]
When Kendall County was young, Little Rock was a flourishing community and a regular stop on the stage route between Chicago and Galena, Illinois. In 1854, the editor of the Little Rock Press noted that the village had two hotels.
The proprietor of the Prairie Tavern was known for his hospitality and the business prospered. When the increase in business demanded it, the original log tavern was replaced with a three-story limestone building. The building was actually constructed by Thomas Spencer who settled in Big Grove Township in 1837. The new hotel was called Lisbon House, and its name was painted on the front of the building in large black letters.
In 1836, John Moore moved three miles out on the prairie and built the first house in what became Lisbon. During the same year, Levi Hills, Sr., built the second building in Lisbon, a log tavern and stage stop on the western edge of the village.26 The tavern was known far and wide as Prairie Tavern.
Mrs. Christina (Jeffrey) Birney ran the Birney Hotel in Lisbon for eleven years. She was reputed to be an accommodating and respected innkeeper.
In 1833, Levi Hills, Sr. and his wife Sarah (Sears) Hills opened a log tavern in Holderman’s Grove, where the passengers were fed and horses exchanged.